Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Little Foxes Destroy the Vine"

For more than a week the Lord has had on my mind the fact that is mentioned in the "Song of Solomon" - "Little foxes destroy the vine" (3:15).
This morning I awoke with a start because of a dream in which I had observed children being abducted. I had been able to follow the abductors, but was seen and went home to change cars in order to continue following them. They were going to be in the same location, and I had enough time to accomplish the exchange. At the right moment I would have the ability to set them free.
While at home, I saw a fire beginning in a house that was literally falling down. I called 911 for the fire department and noticed that the fire was already spreading to more houses on the block, but it was only on the exterior of the other houses. I waited for the firemen so I could help them identify which houses were on fire. They began putting out fires quickly. My window of opportunity to help the abducted children was closing rapidly and I was standing around helping firemen that didn't need my help.
I sensed there was a spiritual nature to this dream that related to the truth about "Little Foxes." As I thought it through, I saw the theme that had been on my heart about the verse from "Song of Solomon." We let little things get our attention, become the focus of our limited time resources, and draw us away from more important things. In Church we allow the 75% of people who are not going to bear fruit (Jesus' parable of the sower in Matt. 13) take our time so that we do not fulfill the call to "make disciples" (Matt. 28) and help people find life and freedom in Christ. There are so many "fires" that are just distractions and smoke screens the Body of Christ, as well as regular life. In life, this is like fictional TV shows or other meaningless activities we allow to take our time.
Jesus said that He is the vine and we are the banches (John 15). When the vine is destroyed , we are cut off from our life sources and cannot bear fruit ourselves. Furthermore, in Matt. 8:22 He said to a disciple who wanted to stop following Him until he could bury a dead person, "Let the dead bury the dead." Again, a situation we cannont change or help can take us away from following the Lord. Little foxes truly will destroy the vine.

No comments: