Thursday, August 14, 2008

Don't Just Do Something

Today I am reminded of a truth I need to practice more regularly.

We've all been told, "Don't just sit there, do something!" Unfortunately, some of us make that a theme for life and spend an awful lot of time doing "dead works," doing something to appear busy or at least avoid being idle. By contrast I like the saying, "Don't just do something, sit there!" This is valuable when sitting there involves waiting on the Lord or entering His peaceful rest. It's painful to think of the times I've been busy doing something and missed what the Lord really wanted me to do, even though the thing I was doing was a good thing.

The problem was that I was doing what seemed good or right, but never took the time to seek the Holy Spirit and hear my assignment for the time. Jesus said it is better for us that He left and sent the Holy Spirit (John 16:7). He goes on to say that the Holy Spirit will speak to us what He hears (verse 13).

As a I child, I was taught to "stop, look and listen" before stepping into a street. That's not a bad idea before stepping into the new "streets of life" of life we face throughout the day, as we walk out our lives. That will enable us to "walk according to the Spirit" the way Paul entreats us (Galatians 5:16, 25).

1 comment:

Josh Stakely said...

I recently started getting up early and spending time with the Lord. My original intention was to have no agenda, just dedicate the time to the Lord and let Him lead me in what He wanted me to do each morning. It went very well as long as I did just that. Then I started getting ideas and it wasn't long before I worked my self into a routine. I started struggling in my spirit. Finally I realized I had pushed God out of that time, even though I was reading the Bible and praying. I wasn't listening. He led me to more worship time and more sitting and waiting. I still struggle sometimes but I am learning to depend on Him.

I enjoy your blog, Joe.

Josh