Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just Jesus

I have a good friend who is an aerospace engineer. Obviously, he if very intelligent and very technical. When it comes to life and the Lord, he has a statement that keeps ringing in my ears: "When it is all over, we will realize how simple things really are."
So often we complicate what the Lord has made so easy. I know that, as a teacher, I am always trying to help people walk through the steps of solving a problem, understanding a doctrine, or communicating their thoughts and feelings. Unfortunately, it seems as though that often complicates things for them because of the tendency to become legalistic about what we learn. Instead of seeking the Lord's simple situation for every situation, we try to force new things into old solutions - in the words of Jesus, putting "new wine into old wineskins."
The other day I was reading the story of Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8. Like so many other instances in Acts, Philip simply "preached Jesus to him," and he became a believer looking to be baptized. I don't know exactly what Philip preached to him, but I have a hunch it was very simple and only involved the birth, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. He probably didn't teach any theology, harp on any doctrines, or give any "steps" to be taken. He just "preached Jesus" and Holy Spirit did the rest. It's not unlike Paul saying that all he wanted to know was Jesus and Him crucified.
I find myself praying, "Lord, help me just preach the simple message of Jesus and leave the rest to You." Before I can do that I must say, "Lord, help me just truly know Jesus, not all the explanations about Him, just Him."

No comments: