Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"The Lesson of the River" - Part 1

Over the next several days I would like to share with you an experience I had last week that greatly impacted me, especially as I seek to gain vision and direction for the very difficult and troubling times in which we live.

On Tue., Oct. 21, 2008, I was drawn "to the mountains" of Tellico Plains in order to spend quiet, uninterrupted time with the Lord. While there, I was drawn to the river. At first I parked beside it in a fairly busy pull-off, but sensed a leading of the Lord to another specific spot.

Again, I parked beside the road in a pull-off and opened the windows. I could hear the water of the river and enjoyed both the cool fall breeze and the bright sunshine that kept me warm. After reading the Bible for a while, I fell asleep. Upon awakening I heard the Lord say, "Go down to the river." I had been to this spot before and heard the Lord speak at that time. In my mind it was a little like Jacob going back to Bethel (Genesis chapters 28 & 35), so I went out on the rocks where He had spoken before. Very quickly I was led to go upstream to another set of rocks. On the way the Lord said,"Learn the lesson of the river."

I have found that usually when we need to hear clearly from the Lord, we also need to go to special places where we can be alone with Him. This whole experience related to the lesson of the river lasted only a couple of hours. When God is drawing, He is ready to speak. When we are seeking Him in our timing and ways, He is often silent. If you are needing to hear from the Lord, ask Him to draw you and then be ready to move quickly. Jacob was actually running both times He encountered God at Bethel. Until God is ready to speak, peacefully keep doing what He gave you to do last time He spoke direction, purpose, and/or vision into your life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing I find interesting concerning Jacob and his encounter with God is that God changed his name, like He has done with so many others He has dealt with. ex. Abraham, Paul, etc. But notice in
scripture that Israel was still often refered to as Jacob even after his encounter. I think these are the times he spoke or operated after the "old man". He hadn't ever really put him to death and he kept rising up.
Just thought I'd share that thought.
Thank you Pastor for ALL your teachings. You are in my prayers.
Darlene