Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Praying 'The Word'"

A lot of people say they don't pray because they do not know how to pray. Of course, Jesus' response to the disciples' request for teaching on how to pray was the "Model Prayer" or "Lord's Prayer." That is a good place not only to pray but also to study this prayer for understanding of what Jesus was saying to pray.

Sometimes you hear people say, "Pray the word" by which they mean pray what the Bible is saying. A great example is in the "Apostolic Prayers" of Paul that can be found in his letters to the various churches and people.

This morning I was praying one of the "Apostolic Prayers" for the people of our church and others for whom I pray regularly. It is found in Ephesians 1:15-21 and is a prayer for spiritual wisdom and the knowledge of the power of the resurrection. When Paul said "you" or "your," I put the person's name in that place. Not only was I then "praying the word" but also was praying specifically for that person.

1 comment:

Tim Atchley said...

Great word Joe!

I hope many are reading these posts. I have been on sabbatical from mine but will pick it up again on Monday. Keep up the thoughts sir!