Monday, June 8, 2009

Proverbs 3:9-10, Giving

The greatest way to "honor the Lord with your possessions" is to acknowledge that all of your possessions are His. When I became a "slave of Christ," I gave up all of my possessions. Actually, it put me in the position that God intended from the beginning that I would be a steward of His creation and take dominion on His behalf.

I get to enjoy the benefits of His possessions AND must seek Him for proper management of His creation. It causes me to seek Him more. It produces great joy to give away the firstfruits and allows for fulfillment of the covenant with Abraham in which we are blessed in order to be a blessing. Moreover, giving is at the core of God's nature. He gave His Spirit in creating man. He gave His Son in redeeming man. Not only does the Bible say, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" but also Jesus said we should give before we should expect to receive (Luke 6:38).

In keeping with the theme of Proverbs 3, the right heart is essential. If I give only to receive, I have the wrong heart. Giving is God's heart and I give because it is my heart, too.

No comments: