Saturday, November 1, 2008

"The Lesson of the River" - Part 4

The river also reminded me of the river flowing out of the Temple in Ezekiel 47. That river had various depths, but more importantly it was flowing toward the east to the Dead Sea where it brought life both to the dessert and to the waters of the Sea. Again, those immersed in the water would have the impact of keeping the river flowing. This "immersion" comes from spending intimate time with the Lord.
But the slower, shallow water is what actually "touched" the dessert and brought life. The most important thing is to be a part of the river. There is a time to be in the "depths" and a time to be a partof the shallows. The emphasis is not on the parts of the river, but the river itself. The Body of Christ is made up of various parts, but it is the unity and sum of the parts that accomplish the tasks.
I asked the Lord where I was in the river and He directed me to a stagnant pool of water that was isolated on a large rock. Immediately I identified with the image. I was in the water, but going absolutely nowhere and motionless. I was wet, but not even close to being a part of the "living water" of the river. It was a result of circumstances and situations, not so much my doing, or lack of doing. It is just where I am right now, waiting.

No comments: