Sunday, November 2, 2008

"The Lesson of the River" - Part 5

I asked the Lord whatI should do about my stagnant condition. He said that the only thing that changes the condition of things I was seeing was "rain." Just like the river had reminded me of Jesus and the leaves of people, the rain reminded me of the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that will increase the water flow and wash leaves like mine into the main flow of the river. Other leaves will be washed from the trees, banks and stagnant pools. The increased water flow will aksi break loose and break apart those leaves stuck in the main stream as well.

It is like the "latter rain" of James 5:7 for which the farmer patiently waits in order to produce the "precious fruit." It is a refreshing rain of encouragement and life giving water. I also thought of the rain in Noah's day that totally changed everything. God doesn't do things part way. It is all the way with Him. Even things that seem "small" are whole within themselves and a part of a greater plan.

As I write this today, I grieve the loss of a very good friend and brother, Jim Adams. I realize how often the Holy Spirit used him as "rain" to bring a refreshing laugh, word of encouragement, reminder of a true steadfast friend, or a challenging word. Thank you, Lord, for the privilege of having walked with Jimmy!

No comments: