Monday, November 24, 2008

To "See" the Lord

The other day I saw one of those verses I had not really paid attention to before. I could say I hadn't "seen" it. Hebrews 12:14 says, "Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord." I have even preached/taught on the "Pursue peace...." part, but had not noticed the result of a lack of holiness.

Of course Jesus says in Matthew 5:8, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." One comment says about "pure," "The word describes physical cleanliness; ceremonial purity; and ethical purity. Sin pollutes and defiles, but the blood of Jesus washes the stains away." Holiness is of the spirit, soul and body, and is a result of the grace of God.

This is required to "see" God. This word "see" is more than a casual glance, it is an extended gazing at something remarkable (Strong's). Read further in Hebrews 12 and we see some of the things that keep us from holiness because we fall short of the grace of God.

"Lord, I want to see you today. Thank you for cleansing me and then giving me the ability to stay clean by walking in the Spirit today. As I see You, I will know what to say and do in the situations I face today. Let me be like Jesus who said the things He did were what He saw You do."

No comments: