Monday, April 20, 2009

Commitment to the Lord

A year or so ago Ignace Augustin from Haiti made a comment that painted a picture of true commitment to the Lord that so many do not have. He was describing the total commitment that Haitians make because they are coming out of vodoo and darkness. Like Muslims and others they truly make a 100% commitment to the Lord that can cost them family, friends, jobs, and maybe even their lives. There is such a turnaround in their lives that they become a living picture of being a "new creation in Christ."

Recently I listened to a teaching by John MacArthur that reminded me of the true 100% commitment to Christ. He stated that most times the New Testament uses the term "bondservant" or servant, it is a mistranslation of the Greek word "doulos," which is slave. The mistranslation comes from the stigma attached to the word slave because of the autrocities of slavery. However, it is the biblical concept of true commitment to Christ, who is not a typical slave "owner," but is the Master who loves, provides for, honors, educates, protects and blesses His slaves.

It made me pull out my Greek resources and check everytime I see the word servant or bondservant. It also made me check my commitment to the Lord. MacArthur's message is called "Slaves of Christ."

No comments: