Thursday, April 23, 2009

Short-Term Memory Is A Choice

As I get older, I find myself sometimes struggling to remember pretty simple things that happened in the recent past. I believe I was right when I told others who went before me that it is not a loss of memory or signs of age, but it is like a computer that needs to have some things deleted, be defragmented, and stop running so many programs at once.

But there is another issue of short-term memory that keeps popping up. It can be seen among the Children of Israel during their wilderness experience. It is a painful truth for all of us. Even though God had delivered them from Pharoah at the Red Sea, from hunger with manna, and from thirst by striking a rock, they seemed to have forgotten these miracles when it was time to enter the Promised Land. He had said He would go before them and fight to defeat the giant-like enemies. In Deut. 1:32 Moses sums it up with, "Yet, for all that (He did) you did not believe the Lord your God."

It should not be a struggle to move forward faithfully according to His directives, when we remember the ways that God has lead us and provided for us in the past. Short-term memory is a choice and I chose to remember all the ways God has lead, blessed, fought and provided for me over and over in the past. AND it is a day to move forward!

No comments: